Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October Czechfest

I was really bummed to attend the last Nebraska Czech Festival of the year...I don't want them all to be over yet!!! :(

We got up early on Sunday morning and finished our trek from Oklahoma. We didn't get settled into our hotel room until around midnight (if I remember right...I fell asleep in the car.) When we got to York I got into my kroj and was ready for the day. I played a few songs in the accordion jam before stepping off stage to enjoy some lunch. I knew I wouldn't have much time to eat after that. They did have me featured during one song we played. I got a little frustrated with myself because I couldn't figure out where we were in a few of the songs but caught back up eventually. After the accordion jam I was asked to sing the Czech and US national anthem. I asked Carrie Brown to join me in singing. Once they finished opening ceremonies they introduced each of the queens. We were able to talk a bit about ourselves and then if we wanted we could perform our talent. My mom was flying back from Hawaii so I asked to be last so she could POSSIBLY make it in time to see me perform. It's always much harder to perform my talent without a wireless mic as some of my kroj are pretty heavy to hold with one and and turn around so you can see both sides. Right before we all started to perform our talents my mom made it! :) I was so happy that she was there to watch me...ON HER 50th BIRTHDAY! Little did she know what we had planned next. After performing my talent it was time for the dumpling roll off. Well I got asked to participate and when I told my mom about it she laughed at me because she said I didn't know how to make dumplings. We decided to try to be funny and "tag teamed" in and out of mixing...rolling etc. :) They said we cheated...I think I was just being smart in opting out of the parts I didn't want to have to do. HAHA! Once we finished up I had to run to the back of the room to meet with everyone who had come to help us celebrate Mom's birthday. My dad, older brother and his girlfriend, and younger brother all came to help surprise her. I had gone to Dollar Tree a few weeks ahead of time and bought noisemakers, "Over the Hill" signs, party hats/headbands, etc. We all met in the back of the room and she started walking back. My dad quickly said "Shandra really needs to talk to you, she keeps asking where you are. You better go find her!" so she headed to ask Shandra what was up. When she got to Shandra...she had no clue what my mom was talking about. We by then had all gotten organized ans started marching towards her and tooting our horns. We pretty much stole the show then sang Happy Birthday. Brad even announced AGAIN that it was her 50th Birthday. I spent some time asking people to write a birthday wish in cards I had bought for her and then had to head back to Lincoln to get to work at Best Buy. I had a BLAST at the York October Czechfest!

Spanem Bohem!
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: