Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Something New - Fall Festival

I decided it was time for another trip out of state...but not TOO far out of Nebraska. :) Munden, KS to be exact!

A while back when I was in Kansas for their Czech Festival in Wilson, I met the president of the Republic County Czechs from Kansas. He had told me about a festival they would be having in the fall and we exchanged contact information. I received a letter in the mail inviting me to come as the event got closer. We got up and headed down that morning and I was excited to see how yet another club celebrates together. Upon arriving I went straight to the stage as the accordion jam was already in progress. They were excited to have the only female accordionist join them. They introduced me and even had me play one with the mic on my accordion. (I still get really nervous when they do that.) They had a potluck dinner with EVERYTHING YOU COULD IMAGINE! Ring bologna, liver and onions, sauerkraut and sausage, macaroni and cheese, and the list goes on...and on...and on. :) I tried not to take too much of anything so I could try lots of things...and I did but still hardly touched anything that they had. I was excited to see one of the Lincoln Czechs (Mel) there as this is the area where he grew up. After lunch they introduced each of the queens and gave us a chance to talk a bit about ourselves and being queen. After I spoke I talked to Sue Underwood about playing accordion for me to sing along to. She agreed and we did one quick run through behind the building. I played and sang the Blue Skirt Waltz for everyone. Once we all spoke and performed and everyone was done eating they had everyone help move all of the tables off the floor and started the dance. Sue and the Blue River Czechs played for the rest of the day. I had a blast dancing with whoever I could and then headed home. Before we went home we stopped at the graveyard to see a few graves of family members. Some of them the first who came to the US and started life here. (After living in Nebraska they moved to Kansas where they are now buried.) There is even rumor of one of the graves being dug up in Wilber and moved to Kansas. I was pretty tired from the busy weekend and ready to get a good nights sleep before it all started over again. Hope everyone is doing well!

Spanem Bohem!
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: