Friday, May 28, 2010

Cedar Rapids...After the Flood

I had traveled to Cedar Rapids in 2004 to go to their Houby Days festival and was excited to return and see how much the town had changed since the flood.

We got there early enough to change and get ready for the day but not too much time! Lucky for me we left really early but I slept the whole way with Blair (the Lincoln Czech Slovak Princess and my little sis) so the trip went by a lot quicker than normal. :) As always the Czech people were VERY welcoming and helpful. I participated in the parade of kroj and then we went through the actual parade. We walked around town and I was SO EXCITED when I realized how our youth in Nebraska is truly getting involved. Nebraska was represented by myself (Nebraska Czech Slovak Queen) and 3 princesses! (Blair - Lincoln Czech Slovak Princess, Julia - Wilber Czech Slovak Princess, and Lexie - Omaha Czech Slovak Princess) It was pretty special to me because these girls are all such great promoters of our heritage and I'm so proud of each of their accomplishments as royalty! We had a blast doing the monkey walk and just having fun together. We met people from all over Iowa and beyond. I got to see the the new MN queen again and the David's who hosted me in MN when I attended their pageant. It was really interesting to see how many houses were still abandoned and almost all of the businesses and buildings had some sort of symbol of how high the water was during the flood. Some were way above my reach and others waist level. They say that a flood is like a tornado that lasts longer and this really made it hit home. After helping with my aunt and uncles house after the Hallam tornado I can only imagine how things were for the people who lived in this area. It shows you how strong the community is and determined not to let this stand in their way. Kudos to you Cedar Rapids!

Oh I almost forgot to share what I learned. They call their festival Houby Days. In the Czech Republic and many Czech communities mushroom hunting is an enjoyable pastime. I don't thing we see it much in Nebraska as there isn't many wooded areas for the mushrooms to grow. It was fun to see their competition categories and see the biggest houby, smallest, best decorated background for their houby. Now I just need to find someone to cook me one because I was told they are the BEST!

After a day of running around town and enjoying all the sights and sounds of Cedar Rapids we headed to the Miss Czech Slovak Iowa pageant. Since Brad and I didn't have a change to play accordion at all before the pageant we stood outside and played for people as they walked in. The contestants were great and I had a great time seeing how another pageant runs and what is expected of each contestant. I was also asked to perform my talent for everyone so I sang and played the Blue Skirt Waltz. It was a great time and I had fun meeting Beth Westlake the new Miss Czech Slovak IA before and after she was crowned! We're gonna have so much fun in Wilber this year. So far all of the girls I have met have been so awesome!!! :) Look out Czech Days....ready or not....here we come!!!

I definitely recommend hitting this festival if you have the time. The people are wonderful and I can't thank everyone there enough for their hospitality to me and all my princesses! :) I hope to make it back again next year.

Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: