Sunday, March 7, 2010

Clarkson Crowns 2010 Queen

Well it's the exciting time of year when new queens begin to start their journey. Soon they'll be competing for my title. I am excited for them but already afraid for this year to be over. This has truly been one of the best years of my life and I hope that our next group of queens has this great experience also.

I had to work in the morning but headed up to the Starlight Ballroom to meet Sandy from the Omaha Czech Club and also the State Pageant Committee. Then...off to Clarkson we went. It scared me to hear Annie give her farewell speech and talk about what she had done as queen this year. If I haven't mentioned this in previous blog entries...one of the FIRST things I said after I was crowned was "Oh my gosh...I have to give a farewell speech." I was so scared to have to do this and now it's flying up on me. I have a million thank yous to give, a million experiences to share, and a million words of wisdom to our new queen. How on earth can I limit this to a few mins and how will I be able to talk through the tears? As much as I say I won't...I KNOW I'm going to cry.

Anyways...we got to Clarkson and I got a plate of FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN kolace! I still say there is NOTHING better. :) Thanks to Annie and her mom for baking for me. They were super good (and lucky to make it home!) They had Annie and I speak a little bit and then it was time. Their new queen was crowned! Beth is from Clarkson and is very involved in high school. They put her on the spot and asked a few questions and then had her perform her talent. Although it wasn't finalized she did a great job. They had a small polka dance in celebration of their new queen and then we headed back to Starlight. I know that Beth will do a wonderful job representing the Clarkson Czech Community and I look forward to seeing her at events in the near future!

When we got back to Starlight I had to pick up from CDs and thought it would be silly to be in the parking lot and not go in. I went in and said hello and got to dance a few with some new friends. I knew I wouldn't be lonely for long going in there on my own...if one thing is true about polka lovers...it's that they are friendly! :) (Plus in my kroj...I kinda stood out. HEHE!) I had a good time dancing and meeting new people and even officially meeting some that I'm sure I've crossed paths with in the past. I look forward to attending another event there in the future.

CONGRATS AGAIN TO BETH THE 2010 CLARKSON CZECH SLOVAK QUEEN!!

Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: