Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tabor Czech Days

As my year as queen was coming to an end I wanted to make the most of it. I had to make one more out of state trip! ;)

I went to Tabor Czech days back in 2005 and it was an awesome festival. I was looking forward to taking my family there for them to experience. It's so wonderful to go to different states and see how each one celebrates a bit differently but there are many similarities. I feel like this is how it would be if you went to the different towns in the Czech Republic or Slovakia.

We got there a bit early because I thought the parade was earlier than it was. This gave us a chance to walk around a bit and see all of the kolace they had ready and more. I was excited to get to see Jennifer again and talk to her a bit before our big weekend in Wilber in a few short weeks. I was lucky to get to ride through in the parade with the wonderful Wilber Czech Slovak Prince and Princess, Julia and John, which was very helpful because all we had was a van and I guess I could have rode on top but may not have been the nicest presentation. HEHE! Thanks to their family I got to ride in a new Mustang convertible with them. I also got to meet the contestants competing for the Czech Days Queen title. I got to watch them model their kroj and perform their talents before the day was over. I was very excited to get to hear Math Sladky's band back together again and playing a LONG job in town. It's always fun to see some familiar faces around when you're far away from home. One of the highlights of the day for me is watching the Tabor Beseda dancers. There are SO MANY of them and they are all different ages. If you have time to watch this I would definitely recommend it.

We had to leave right after the Beseda dancers finished as I had to be in Clarkson bright and early on Saturday for the Nebraska pageant. This is another festival I would recommend to anyone if you have the time be sure to "Czech" it out! ;)

Spanem Bohem!
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: