Thursday, June 10, 2010

Capital City Woodcarvers Anniversary Party

I know you don't believe it but it was another busy day! After attending the South Central Czech Festival in Hastings I had to make it back to Lincoln for the Capital City Woodcarvers 40th Anniversary Party where they asked me to speak and perform while they celebrated their accomplishments in the past 40 years. I have a special tie to this club as my dad has been a member since I remember. We used to attend events and I tried my hand a carving (and got bored very easily so I admire those who have the patience and steady hand to do it.) We also went camping with members of the club so many of them have watched me grow into the Czech-Slovak queen I am today! :)

They let me have a few minutes to eat as they talked about the history of the club and did some sharing of new carvings they had finished recently. I spoke about my Czech Heritage, my year as queen, and opportunity I had at the Miss Czech Slovak US pageant. I was excited to hear that so many people wanted to learn more about their heritage after hearing me speak and they even planned to have a heritage day with the club so everyone could share what they learned after a few months. It is important to get our younger generations involved but I think we often forget to encourage adults to learn more so I was very excited about this. Next I played my accordion and sang a bit. Of course my dad made me share my story of how I got my accordion....or should I say accordions now! :D Everyone had a great time and as usual the toes were tapping by the time we were done. I am so happy that they thought to invite me to be a part of this celebration.

Spanem Bohem!
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: