Thursday, December 10, 2009

Haven Manor in Hickman

I emailed a large number of assisted living and nursing home facilities in and around Lincoln a few weeks back. I asked if there would be any time that I would have an opportunity to come and perform for their residents. The first response I got was from Haven Manor in Hickman. I had actually tried to go out there in July but found out they wanted me to attend the same weekend that we went to Kansas for the Miss Czech Slovak Kansas pageant. I was excited to find a time to visit and spend some time with the residents there.

Brad and I got there at 6:10 because we thought they wanted us to perform at 6:30 but found out they just wanted us there at 6:30 to perform at 7. I had a good time talking to all of the residents as they came in. At 7pm we started by having Brad play a few songs as the last few people filed in. I took over the show and talked a bit about being queen and why my Czech heritage is so important to me. We then played some songs together and I sang a few. It was great because there were even some people singing and/or humming along. :) We closed by singing Silent Night with everyone and while packing up we got quite a few more questions. They all kept saying that they hope we'll come back sometime soon. I let them know that their activities director has my information and to just tell her to email me and we would come back again. We had a great time with this group and hope to go back sometime in the next few months (maybe even take Shandra along or something!) Tomorrow is the Lincoln Czechs Christmas party and it's gonna be a blast! :)

Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: