Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Omaha Czech Cultural Club Czech Folklore Festival

Well as I said in my previous post...8am cam VERY early to get up and get dressed again for the day. I was asked a few weeks back to MC the entire Omaha Czech-Slovak Folklore festival. I was very excited to have the opportunity to practice speaking in front of an audience through the whole day. It is always great practice when I'm working with groups I don't speak in front of often. We got there early for the accordion jam but I didn't play much because I wanted to explore all the festival had to offer before my duties as MC started. It was a great festival and they had a great turnout! I had a blast watching queens and princesses compete in the kolace eating contest. I also got to be a judge in the cake decorating contest. I did find a break in the day to sneak downstairs and have their wonderful Czech meal.

It was a wonderful day of celebrating our Czech and Slovak heritage in Nebraska! :) After the day was over we went to visit a friend who was in the hospital. Of course I stayed in full kroj. I love seeing people trying to figure out why I'm dressed the way I am when I'm in kroj. He was really surprised and loved having us there to visit. I wish I had time to go to more nursing homes and hospitals to brighten peoples day. Well I'm sure I'll be writing again soon!


Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: