Monday, April 12, 2010

Czech and Slovak Americans Symposium at UNL

About a year ago I started about a Symposium that was to be held in April 2010. It was about Czech and Slovak Americans. I was really excited because I knew there was a lot to learn from this symposium. I was excited to attend the kick-off of the symposium where Czech queens from around the state were the hostesses. We got to visit with many people who were in town for the symposium. They also had an art display with photos of Czech buildings etc from around the state and display of kroje. The next day I spent learning all sorts of new things. It was great to have such great speakers from around the US there to talk to us about Czech and Slovak Americans. That evening I got to play in an accordion jam with a group made up of button accordion players from around the state. We then got to walk to the Sheldon art museum to listen to Czech Opera pieces. It was BEAUTIFUL! They had all of the singers dressed in kroje which made it EVEN BETTER! I was excited for another day of all things Czech and enjoyed more lectures on the 2nd day and learned more. It was so great to be surrounded with so many things to soak in. The final event was the CLF banquet. I have attended this several times in the past. UNL is lucky to have different sponsors donate to provide a scholarship to all of their Czech students. This banquet is in honor of them and the impact they have on the students education. I had fun sitting with several other queens from NE and beyond! :) I think I could have taken a few more days of this symposium so I was sad for it to be over but was very glad to have this experience! :)

Spanem Bohem!
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: