Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wilson Opera House and a New Adventure...Speaking to Girl Scouts!

Before I write about speaking to the Girl Scouts I have to share something. If you remember me traveling to Wilson, KS in a previous post we had gone to the Wilson Opera House to see the Miss Czech Slovak Kansas pageant. I was very sad to hear about a fire there on November 6 but didn't know how much damage was done. The Wilson Opera House and Czech museum in the basement were COMPLETELY destroyed. I am praying for the Czech community in and around Wilson. This is such a tragety and I can't believe that this has happened again. It seems like just yesterday we were trying to help out with the museum in Cedar Rapids. If you would like to make a donation please send it to:

Czech Opera House Museum Rebuilding Fund
Att. John Casper
136 Eight Rd
Wilson, KS 67490

Anything will help and I pray that they can rebuild and hopefully replace some of the items in the museum. This community is definitely in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you put them in your prayers also.

When I was looking for events to attend and opportunities to speak to youth about heritage my brother's girlfriend (Harleena) asked if I had ever spoken to a Girl Scout troupe. I hadn't but was excited when she asked if I would come and speak to the Daisy Troupe she leads. I was very excited to get to talk to a group of girls and maybe spark a little interest in a few future Czech queens. ;) A few nights before the meeting Harleena and I went over to my mom's house and helped to make kolace. We were laughing so hard all night when we goofed up then were talking too much and forgot to take one pan of them out of the oven...they were a little darker than they should have been (but we saved them and gave them to the boys. HAHA!) I arrived at the school a few minutes before the meeting started and already had all the girls attention. I had invited my cousins wife to bring their daughter along to see me speak and meet some of the girls since they had just moved from Albuquerque, NM. They all sat down and Harleena had them say the girl scout promise and law then introduced me. I had each of the girls go around and tell me their names. I started by talking a bit about heritage and what it means. I told them about my family coming to the US and asked them if they know what they would bring with them if they left their house forever and all they could take is what they could fit in their school backpack. I explained that this is what many families did but they couldn't pack it with toys because they had to have clothes and other necessities. I told them about my kroj and showed them some of the special pieces. Next was accordion time. :) They were all excited to tell me that they sing or play an instrument so I went around the group and had them tell me which they prefer and if they play an instrument. They had fun getting to share with me instead of me talking the whole time. I played a few songs on the accordion and was surprised when all of the girls started singing when I played "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie." I thought it was great that they all knew at least a little polka music! :) After playing a few I sang for them so they could hear Czech words. I left lots of time through the whole meeting for questions. Once I finished presenting and they finished up their questions we took a group picture and then had kolace for snack. I signed a picture for each of them and talked to them a bit more. I had SO MUCH FUN and Tarin decided that she wanted to join Girl Scouts because she did too! :) I told them I would come back any time! Well this is just the first of my journeys with kids this week...read more later!

Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: