Friday, July 24, 2009

Bickford Cottage Visit

I don't get to do a whole lot around Lincoln so I'm always excited to be invited to events around Lincoln. Bickford Cottage contacted my mom a few months back asking if the Lincoln Czech-Slovak Queen would perform for their Czech week in July. (For those of you who don't know...my mom is the President of the Lincoln Czechs this year.) I started working with them and agreed to come on the 22nd of July. When I walked in on Wed it was hilarious. The activities coordinator announced that she had invited the Lincoln Queen to come and speak and couldn't believe that she just didn't show up like this. But luckily the Nebraska Queen was here to take her place. Then she said oh wait...that's because she's the same person. :) I thought that was pretty cute. I spoke about what I've done as the Lincoln Queen previously and my plans for the future as the newly crowned Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen. I told them about how I was raised with my Czech heritage being an important part of my life and have chosen to keep it as a big part of my life as I've gotten older. I told them about the pageant and all of the girls in Clarkson. I was proud to again get to describe my kroj a bit and show of some of the very important pieces to me. I showed them what Anne had embroidered and then they said the Choraliers would be there that evening. I told them to tell her how beautiful her work was. After talking for a while I performed my talent for them and even did my old talent from a few years ago. They had kolaces for a snack and I walked around a bit in case anyone had questions or wanted to see my kroj up close. I had to rush out of there because I had to be back to work. It was a great visit and I told them I would love to come back again next year. Now I'm preparing for a longer trip all the way down to Wilson, KS on Saturday.


Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: