Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 Events in One Day !

Well I did it! 3 events in one day...round one! :) I had an amazing day with the Wilber Czech-Slovak Queen, Laura Shestak, yesterday. We planned a fun filled day a few weeks back and one event fell through...so what did we do? Well found something else to attend of course! HEHE!

We started the day at the Central Nebraska Ethnic festival in Grand Island, NE. We walked around and said hello to as many people as we could. They just had lots of different vendors with ethnic foods, crafts, clothes, etc. They had a big stage with different bands playing. It was a very nice event and luckily we didn't get rained out. We were a bit nervous on the way there as we drove through rain almost the whole way on the interstate. Me and Laura shared a strawberry smoothie and got the cutest picture (which she framed and gave me for my birthday!) Laura took a picture with Wilbur the pig from Famous Dave's....I saw his name tag and thought it was great. Wilber Czech Queen and Wilbur the pig! HEHE! We walked around a bit and enjoyed the music then headed back to Crete to be on our way to Cortland for event number 2.

The Cortland Days parade was the 2nd stop for the day and I think we spent more time waiting for the parade than actually going through the parade. It was pretty short but I think people were really excited to see me and the Wilber Royalty there. I think they only had about a 5 block parade route so they tried to space us out a lot to make it last longer so it took a while. My little brother came down from Lincoln and took some pictures of the fire department's stuff and us going through the parade. As soon as we were done we had to load up and move out again. Off to Sutton for event number 3.

I emailed about Dugout Days in Sutton when I first found out that I was going to be the Lincoln Czech-Slovak Queen and had been in contact. We didn't have any link there or anything but I tried to find some different parades and events to attend this year to bring awareness to other communities about the Czech organizations that are around. We walked around a bit as we got there pretty early which was unexpected. Grabbed a bite to eat at Subway and then headed to the parade lineup. There were tons of other floats and cars there! When we started the parade it was really neat as they routed us from the school through the nursing home drive so everyone at the nursing home could see the parade without having to go far and some were even inside and still able to see. Then through the rest of the parade...we were all shocked how big this parade was for a smaller town. It was fairly long and there were lots of people thorough the whole thing. Instead of walking all the way back to the school and their cars the WHOLE Wilber crew loaded onto the back of Shestak's convertible. I about died when I first saw them...and was surprised that Larry wasn't having a heart attack. :) This is definitely a parade we want to look into going to next year. After the parade I was ready to crash! It was a long fun filled day and I'm sure there are many more to come!

I'm officially a year older today and finally starting to feel like last weekend actually happened!!!

Na Shledanou,
Stefanie Vocasek
2009-10 Nebraska Czech-Slovak Queen

0 comments: